Church Leadership Book Reading, Year 1
This past year I began hosting a monthly book club with the leaders (mostly elders) of my congregation aimed at theological and biblical development, conversation starters for ministry, and growing in a shared, cohesive vision for our church. This was a new idea for our church, but it seemed to have gone well. For year one I was aiming mostly at what church life and mission looks like. We’ll pick up again in September for year two. Below are the books we read together.
- Devoted to God’s Church: Core Values for Christian Fellowship, Sinclair Ferguson.
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God, Timothy Keller.
- On the Incarnation (with preface by C. S. Lewis), Athanasius.
- The Necessity of Reforming the Church (with introduction by Robert Godfrey), John Calvin.
- Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution, Carl Trueman.
- The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift that Changes Everything, Colin Marshall & Tony Payne.
- Four Views on the Church’s Mission, Jonathan Leeman, Christopher Wright, John Franke, & Peter Leithart.
- Talking About Race: Gospel Hope for Hard Conversations, Isaac Adams.