On My 2018 Anselm Reading Project
I am embarking on a project to select a particular theologian and then read everything (or most everything) written by him over the course of a year. My hope is to better learn not only the theologian’s particular insights, but to get into his head in a deeper way. I will also read a few commentaries on the theologian’s work, as well as a biography or two.
For the inaugural 2018 installment, I have selected Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109). I welcome anyone to join in with me as reading and discussion partners in this project.
For Anselm’s original works I will be using two books. The first is Anselm of Canterbury: The Major Works (Oxford World’s Classics, ISBN 019954008X). It contains the following works of Anselm (Original title in Latin first, most famous works in bold):
- Monologion (A monologue on the Reason for Faith)
- Proslogion (Faith Seeking Understanding)
- Pro Insipiente (On behalf of the fool) by Gaunilo
- Reply to Gaunilo
- De Grammatico (Dialogue on Literacy and Grammar)
- De Veritate (On Truth)
- De Libertate Arbitrii (On Free Will)
- De Casu Diaboli (“On the Devil’s Fall”)
- De Fide Trinitatis et de Incarnatione Verbi Contra Blasphemias Ruzelini (On Faith in the Trinity and on the Incarnation of the Word Against the Blasphemies of Roscelin)
- Cur Deus Homo (Why God was a Man)
- De Conceptu Virginali et de Originali Peccato (On the Virgin Birth and Original Sin)
- De Processione Spiritus Sancti Contra Graecos (On the Procession of the Holy Spirit Against the Greeks)
- De Concordia Praescientiae et Praedestinationis et Gratiae Dei cum Libero Arbitrio (On the Harmony of Foreknowledge and Predestination and the Grace of God with Free Choice)
The second work is The Prayer and Meditations of Saint Anselm with the Proslogion (ISBN 0140442782). This work includes Anselm’s devotions, which have a very different feel and focus than his other writings.
The two commentaries and biographies I’ve selected are The Cambridge Companion to Anselm (Brian Davies, ISBN 0521002052) and Anselm (Outstanding Christian Thinkers, G.R. Evans, ISBN: 0826476570).
Other recommend options include:
- Anselm of Canterbury (Christian Biographies for Young Readers)
- Anselm (Great Medieval Thinkers)
- St. Anselm: A Portrait in a Landscape
The first week of January I will begin with the Monologion, but beyond that I do not yet have a schedule laid out.