2022 Reading Project: Majority World Theology
Much of my reading project over the last four years has been devoted to targeted reading in the deep and diverse well of the Reformed Catholic tradition. I’ll continue to do so in other avenues, but in 2022 year I wanted to intentionally read outside my tradition. Specifically, I want to read outside the white, European-descended Presbyterian tradition. Instead of focusing on the works of an individual author, I am going to read a variety of works mostly representing theological perspectives of the “Majority World”. The Majority World is a term used to describe the majority of the global population that resides outside of the Western World (Australia, Europe, New Zealand, North America). I also be reading a few books on the African American Christian experience; of course Black Americans are part of the Western world and tradition, but the African American church represents a distinct theological approach within that tradition for which I have done very little direct reading, to which I want to devote time.
The most important work in this reading is Majority World Theology: Christian Doctrine in Global Perspective. It has six parts, each containing a series of essays, with each part having been previously published as individual volumes. Below is the rough schedule I plan on following.
[[Edit, April 27th – There is a work that looks to be published this upcoming year that I will add when available. The African American Christian Tradition: A Reader, edited by Walter Strickland. Currently the only publicly available information on it is from a GoFundMe, but it looks like InterVarsity Press will publish it.]]
- Majority World Theology (part 1)
- Reading While Black: African American Interpretations as an Exercise in Hope
- Majority World Theology (part 2)
- African American Readings of Paul: Reception, Resistance, and Transformation
- Majority World Theology (part 3)
- Grace to the City: Studies in the Gospel from China
- Majority World Theology (part 4)
- Global Gospel: An Introduction to Christianity on Five Continents
- Majority World Theology (part 5)
- God is One: A Christian Defence of Divine Unity in the Muslim Golden Age
- Majority World Theology (part 6)
- Scripture and its Interpretations: A Global, Ecumenical Introduction to the Bible
- Theology of the Pain of God
- A Multitude of All Peoples: Engaging Ancient Christianity’s Global Identity
- Catch up if needed
- Faithful Disobedience: Writings on Church and State from a Chinese Church House Movement (releases on December 6th, 2022).